Monday, February 10, 2014

Ever had one of Those Days?

Remember that old song, 'Monday, Monday' by the Mama's and the Papa's?  If you do, then you will know where I'm going with this.  If you do not, I will refresh your memory.  The song says, 
"Monday, Monday can't trust that day.  Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way..."
and then goes on to say,
"Every other day (every other day), every other day, Every other day of the week is fine, yeah, But whenever monday comes, but whenever monday comes, You can find me cryin' all of the time"
Yes, sadly that was my Monday, tears and all.  It didn't start too bad; I had my coffee with a short devotional time, the kids were relatively content, and less than an hour later it all went south upon hearing the frantic cries of my son calling for help.


Now it's quite normal to hear many calls like this in any given day with two small children, however a mother knows the difference between those calls and the ones that mean your child has either somewhat severely injured themselves or a sibling, or they have just done something so off the charts that even they know they're in deep waters.  And this cry, just so happened to be one of those "in deep waters" cries (both figuratively and literally I later discovered).

Immediately I dropped what I was doing and rushed towards the sound of Warren's voice.  My fears began to mount as I discovered the voice was coming from the washroom...past experience had assured me that cries (good or bad) coming from that room were never a positive thing.


Upon entering the room I found Warren standing half dressed in about an inch of water, and he wasn't in the bathtub.  An empty roll of toilet paper hung on the wall, while the toilet sat helplessly filled to the brim with water and paper.  Floating amongst the debris was a toilet brush and plunger, evidence of my son's no-doubt frantic attempt to remedy the problem.

We were no more than 10 minutes into cleaning up when the phone rang to inform me that today was the day that our plumber (who's help we were anxiously awaiting for other water work matters in the house) could come...and that it would be within the hour no less!  Ahhhh!!  It was at this point that I went into panic mode, mindlessly phoning my husband to vent and to make sure he picked up the mop that had been on the bottom of our "to do" list for months.

It just so happened that the plumbing problem was related to a sulpher-type smell that occured whenever we ran a load of laundry or dishes.  This compounded my already-stressful morning.  Not only did I have to finish cleaning up the 'Great Flood' and the effects thereof that had spilled out into the hallway, but now I also had to run a load of laundry, empty the dishwasher of clean dishes, only to fill it with a new load to run, and thereby create a new mess of sulpher smell so as to help our plumber find the source of the problem.  Oh, and did I mention that everyone, including me, was still in pajamas (with the exception of Warren who was in underwear and toilet water), and awaiting a proper breakfast?  (At this point I was really despising our house full of clean-eating items)


Yes, these were deep waters in every aspect of the meaning.  And it was about that time that I began to recall singing a few lines just yesterday as a prayer to God to take me out on deeper waters in regards to trusting Him.  I of course, was thinking more along the lines of Him helping me to trust Him with existing obstacles when I said that...but as usual, He had something else in mind and saw it fit to "entrust" me with a few more deep waters to walk upon (you know...the literal kind...).

Now I'd love to say that when I remembered that, the clean-up rush transformed into a joyous clean-up dance-party, filled with sparkles and laughter, however that was not quite the case.  Instead I was annoyed by this inconvenience and spiraled deeper into a grumbling woe-is-me pity-party.  Shameful, yes I know, but this is the sad truth.

In the end, everything was clean, the plumber came in the afternoon, and my attitude did change eventually, but unfortunately, I took the long route getting there and missed out on the humor of it all until much later.  So what is the point that I'd like to leave you with today?  Well here it is: if you find yourself in deep water, whether it be the kind that leaves a mess on your bathroom floor, or the kind that leaves a tear-stained mess on your pillow and in your soul, you don't have to stay in that place until you are at the point of drowning.  Look up, because when you do you will find your Heavenly Father is walking on the water towards you, with hands outstretched; you need only grasp His hand to walk upon the waters.


"He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path, and steadied me as I walked along." ~ Psalm 40:2 (Living Bible)
I'll leave you with this song by Hillsong United, one of my favorites I think right now.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m_sWJQm2fs 

Until next time...stay warm...and dry. ;)
♥ Crystal

1 comment:

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!