Friday, March 28, 2014

FMF: Mighty

HAPPY FRIDAY!!! Today's post is on...yup...you've guessed it...."MIGHTY". (you guys are so smart!)

Throwback to 4 years ago (almost 5 years now..yipes!)

Okay so when I first hear the word "mighty" the immediate image that comes to my head is "Mighty Mouse".  Does anyone remember him?  You know, the little mouse that had great strength.  I'm afraid some of you may be aging me at this point...but just to validate my young age (hee hee) we used to watch it in color on a vhs that my parents stumbled upon and found it worthwhile enough to share with my generation.
 ANYWAYS, getting way off track here....so thinking about Mighty Mouse and his size brings another thought to my mind, one which my mom always told me when I was young, and that is this, that "you are small but mighty".  At the time it was more a reference to my tiny size due to being a figure skater, and my ability to be successful in athletics despite my small frame.  However many years later that phrase has new life as I face chapters of my life called "being a wife" and "being a mom".

I can't recall how many times in a day or a week I am plagued by the thought, "you're just a mom", or dread being asked the question, "so what do you do?", only to have to answer, "I'm a stay-at home mom" as images of a Leave-It-To-Beaver type mom fills my head and I cringe at the stereotype that I never wanted to be, and in reality aren't. (phew!)

So many times I undermine my strengths, gifts, and the roles that I've been called to serve in...especially that of motherhood.  But I'm so grateful for friends and community that remind me that being a mom is nothing small, and nothing to be looked down upon.  Being a mom encompasses more roles than I ever could have imagined; it is challenging, rewarding, fulfilling, heartbreaking, and heartwarming, and most of all it changes you.  It changes you from ordinary to mighty...and not because it swells your head with all of your accomplishments, but because I can see that in my weakest moments Christ is right there with me, giving me the words to speak, the love to share, the patience and endurance to not give up, and the vulnerability to keep my heart wide open to these little ones who sometimes fling so much emotion and hurt my way.  He is there with His strength, and He makes me mighty.

STOP (Yep....I went 15 minutes this time....sorry...what can I say...it's late...I'm a night person...I like to talk..I tend to babble and......wait a minute....there I go...DONE!) :)

**********************************************************

Join in the Five Minute Friday Party with Lisa-Jo Baker (who just came out with a wonderfully new book called "Surprised by Motherhood" that will be released on April 1st. Go to Amazon now to pre-order your copy!)
How? Just write for 5 minutes on the given topic and link it up here.

The only rule is that you must visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments.  (Yay! Building community!) :)

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. I am deeply moved by the last sentence: " He is there with His strength, and He makes me mighty."

    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Romi. Be blessed with might and encouraged today in His strength! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I came to read your post, Crystal. Such a humorous and simple reminder that yes, even though we are mothers and wives and often feel like we are "just" these things...we are mighty and so is He.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for saying 'hello' Ami! Good to have you here and glad you were reminded of your might in Him! :)

      Delete
  3. He IS mighty in us! Great post! Dropping by from FMF, and glad I did!
    P.S. I loved Mighty Mouse too :)

    ReplyDelete

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!