Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wash, Rinse, Repeat if Desired

Back when I was still a single gal living at home with not a care in the world (relatively speaking of course ;) ) and had more time than I knew what to do with, I had a funny little habit during shower time of reading all of the labels on the products in the shower and rearranging the letters to see how many new words I could make out of the product names.  (Yes, I know I'm slightly crazy)  Anyways, it seemed on nearly every product the phrase, "wash, rinse, repeat if desired" was present somewhere.  Personally I rarely ever took this advice when it came to my cleansing routine, however fast forward a husband, a four year old, and a two year old later and I'm thinking that I practically live by that advice now.

I'm sure you can relate.  Sometimes it can feel as though I'm stuck on repeat.  The day begins, and there are baskets full of laundry to wash, dry, fold, and put away, stacks of dishes to wash that magically grew overnight, even more stacks to put away, toys that crept out of their boxes, dust bunnies that have reproduced, and enough loose papers, drawings, and crayons to equip an entire kindergarten classroom.  Not to mention the ongoing symphony of "he did this...", or "she said that", "I'm hungry", "I'm thirsty", "I don't like that", "I want...", "I need", etcetera, etcetera.  It's nearly enough to drive a person insane sometimes!

My lovely sink...even the picture is crooked. ;)

So my solution to the above is to immediately go into what I like to call A.D.D. cleaning-mode as I start on one task only to be distracted by another en route, until about mid morning when I find I've accomplished roughly one quarter of half of all of the tasks, the kids are on their third breakfast and I'm still running on caffeine and a prayer.  Now instead of feeling like I've made some progress, I am left feeling like I've only regressed as I look around despairingly at the multitude of partially finished tasks and the clock that just keeps on ticking.

I know I'm not alone in this.  Your struggle may not be one of a stay-at-home mom facing the repetitive tasks of cleaning, dispute resolution, entertainer, and chef, but all the same, sometimes it can feel as though life can be stuck on repeat, whether it's a mundane career, endless school reports, or the ongoing inward battles of the heart.  Often times we can find ourselves in these situations and we think, "I just finished cleaning up that mess, and now there's another one", and we can be left feeling purposeless, drained, exhausted, and overwhelmed with where to begin, or if we should even bother.  So what can we do to overcome this place of hopelessness and begin moving forward?

Well, for me it means stopping to ask God for help as I pick up that hundredth piece of paper, or resolve that same old argument.  Not so much help for the task at hand, but help for my attitude as I embark on the task.

Our attitude is like the rudder in a ship, steering our day in either a positive or a negative direction; the direction is up to us.  I am so encouraged though to know that even when my attitude is sour and I have no desire for change I can still come before my Savior and ask Him to give me His perspective which changes me and gives me fresh courage to break out of the old repeat cycle where it really matters; in my heart and in my mind.

I pray you too, receive fresh courage today from God to face those situations that seem overwhelming, and a new perspective to help you face those ordinary, wash, rinse, and repeat days.
"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." ~ Winston Churchill
♥ Crystal 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!