Friday, March 7, 2014

FMF: Willing

Well here we are again, I'm back for my second edition of Five Minute Friday where we write for five minutes of unedited time and then link back later to encourage our sisters who are writing with us.

(Incase you couldn't tell by the title) Today's topic is: WILLING

Ready.....Go!

"The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak".  We find Jesus telling His disciples this in the Garden before He is led away to be placed on trial and later crucified.  His soul is in anguish, doing the real work of denying His will, and His desires, and pleading for another way if it is in His Father's will.  His disciples are tired and lack the understanding of what is about to take place, and in exhaustion struggle to stay awake and pray with Jesus.  Jesus encourages them to pray that they would not be led into temptation because the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

How many times do I find myself in this exact same place, needing to hear these words from Jesus in my weary soul?  Too often I have a willing spirit to do those things that I am called to do, or to respond in the way that Jesus would, but I find that my flesh is just as weak as anyone else's.  My spirit wants to do great things, and being one of those people that are "blessed" with a strong will (it wasn't a blessing for the longest time believe me...but it is now), I find that I can start out with a bang and push myself quite a ways, but sooner or later my flesh kicks in and the negative thoughts start rolling out, the exhaustion setting in, and eventually weariness and laziness begin to take over.  At these times, more than ever, do I need to hear these words from Jesus, to pray that I wouldn't be led into temptation because my spirit is willing, but this flesh of mine is oh-so-weak.

So right now I just want to pray for myself and you that we will have fresh strength from our Father to run with endurance in what He's called us to do.  I ask Him for new thought patterns to replace the old well-trodden negative thought patterns, and His ability to step in where our ability is limited.  Thank you Father that where our flesh is weak, and our spirit willing, we can run to you for Your strength which is greater than our flesh, and even more amazing; thank you that you still willingly choose us despite all of our weakness.

STOP. (I can't lie...I went over on this one...so sorry FMF friends!) ;)

**********************************

Five Minute FridayJoin in the Five Minute Friday Party with Lisa-Jo Baker.
How? Just write for 5 minutes on the given topic and link it up here.

The only rule is that you must visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments.  (Yay! Building community!) :)

2 comments:

  1. Crystal, dear sister, I felt your prayer washing over me as I read this, and me saying, "Yes, Lord." I love the glimpse of your heart here, honest, open, transparent. I resonate with needing new thought patterns to replace those old, well trodden paths. I'm so glad you stopped in at my place and shared so beautifully with me, so I could come visit yours. Community is a beautiful thing, indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! It's a constant battle and it gets exhausting. Visiting from 5MF today!

    ReplyDelete

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!