Friday, January 31, 2014

Is the Doctor In?

So the end of the week is upon us, and as the deep waters have been stirring in me I'm finally feeling some connection between the dots.  (See I promised you it would come eventually, didn't I?  Brace yourself though because this may a little heavier than normal)

Earlier this week a scripture was dropped into my heart from Luke 5:31-32, in which Jesus is having a meal with some tax collectors and other guests which the supposed religious leaders did not approve of.  In response to their complaints about Jesus' choice of dinner companions, Jesus reply's with the following:
31 Jesus answered them, “It is the sick who need a doctor, not those in good health. 32 My purpose is to invite sinners to turn from their sins, not to spend my time with those who think themselves already good enough.” (Luke 5:31-32, Living Bible)
At the time that God reminded me of that scripture it was such a breath of fresh air to remember that God does not expect me to have it all together before I come to Him; in fact, what He's really saying is that He came for those who are sinners and are aware of their sin-sick condition.  The only real "prerequisite" to coming to Jesus is to have the humility of heart to admit that we don't have it all together; how else could we be expected to call upon someone else than if we recognize our inability to change ourselves?

Keep that in your back pocket and fast forward to later on in the week.  My week was going great, but it seemed that everywhere I looked there was nothing but negative news being published, spoken of and witnessed.  Most of it seemed to be in regards to children being neglected, treated as commodities, or lacking the love of the parents who should be closest to them.  My heart was so heavy for the ugly reminder of the brokenness surrounding me on a daily basis.

However I found that as the week progressed my heaviness of heart began to gradually cross a fine line from brokenness into judgement and anger at the thought of how people could be so selfish towards the most innocent among us.  My thoughts began to become very critical and slowly, without even realizing, I began to be blanketed in that ugly blanket of self-righteousness of which Jesus called the Pharisees out on.  It seemed I had all but forgotten the scripture that had earlier seemed to ring so true to me.

I'm so thankful though to say that God awakened me from the bitterness forming in my heart and reminded me of truth.  And here it is; yes the world can be a very ugly place, and yes, it can be very easy in our hearts to become angry and judgmental, and even feel justified in our anger towards the lack of morals, love, and justice we see on a daily basis, thinking that "I would never do that", but let us not forget, that Jesus never placed expectations on those who don't follow Him, to behave in a Godly manner, and neither should we.  When we do this we reduce ourselves to nothing more than bossy naysayers and we do nothing to represent the welcoming love of God that desires to embrace and heal those broken, messy lives in a way that they never could do on their own.

The other thing that God so gently reminded me of, was that my heart can be just as ugly as those behaviors that shock and break me.  Oh it may not appear as some huge tumorous type growth that everyone can see and is appalled by, but it's there, my God, yes, it's there.  It's there every time I choose my own selfish desire over the needs of those closest to me, it's there every time I choose to hold onto my wrong attitude instead of releasing it to God, it's there with every judgmental glance, every bitter thought, and every time I am so wrapped up in my own problems that I don't even stop to notice those hurting around me who may just need a hug or a "hello".  Yes, that ugliness is there; it is that part of me that is not yet surrendered to God, that lies in hiding convincing me that I must somehow be better than those around me because my behavior (on the surface) is better than theirs.

There is good news though.  It is simple, it is refreshing, and it is freeing.  It is this; that Jesus came not for the healthy, but for the sick.  Jesus didn't come for those who think they have it all together, He came for those who know they don't.  Jesus came to take away all of this broken, ugly, sin-sick mess within us, to pay the price that we deserved to pay on a hideous, despised cross, and to exchange it for His wholeness, healing, and beauty.  He did it a long time ago, and He still does it today.

I want to leave you with this quote from a book I was reading by Stasi Eldredge.  She states,
"We do not have to remain captive any longer.  Yes, God uses our stories to shape us.  He works all things for the good of those who love him, even the horrible things.  The holy work of God deep in our hearts as we have suffered and struggled and wept and longed to overcome is stunning beyond measure.  You may not see the goodness yet, but you will.  You will.  It comes when we see our lives through God's eyes."  (taken from "Becoming Myself" by Stasi Eldredge) 
 Let's remember this, not only for ourselves, but for those around us as well.  God can take even the ugliest mess and turn it into something stunning.

♥ Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!